Homework is the part of school life that affects home life most directly. In a Catholic school, it is desirable for homework to have positive enriching benefits. It is often the daily link between school and home. Some of these benefits include:
- Encouraging the development of student responsibility for learning.
- the opportunity for children to consolidate what they have learnt at school
- the development of good long term work and study habits as a preparation for further study
- opportunities to engage parents in their child’s education and develop a regular parental awareness of their child’s progress, strengths and weaknesses.
The maximum time to be spent on set homework for each year level per week, based on a four-night program, will be:
- Prep – up to 20 minutes
- Years 1 and 2: 40 minutes – 80 minutes
- Years 3 and 4: 80minutes – 2hrs
- Years 5 and 6: 2 – 3 hours